Have you lent your laptop to some friend? Maybe you played a game and hit your laptop at the moment of being lifted, or maybe you just pressed something on the keyboard? Maybe you are watching a movie and you don’t want all laptop options to work? Do you want to play a trick on someone? All this can lead to the laptop keyboard shutting down. How many times have I even had a case that I get the laptop back from my siblings, and suddenly you can’t type anything because someone has blocked the keyboard. In this article, we will answer the question of how to turn off the keyboard in a laptop, and thus also how to turn it on again, because it is the same mechanism in both cases.
Disabling the keyboard varies from model to model, but I will try to write out all the options I know to disable it.
How to turn off the keyboard in a laptop?
- Click the Fn function button, it is usually located on the left side of the keyboard and is highlighted in a different color. After pressing it everything should be back to normal and the keyboard problem should be gone.
- Pressing the Fn and Shift keys simultaneously. There is nothing to explain here, we should know all these keys.
- Click Fn and the key combination from F1 to F12. This works on most laptops and I include 1-12 because like I mentioned before, it just depends on the model and the company. Here’s a general recipe for disabling the keyboard, so try every possibility.
- Press the Fn, Num Lock, and F1 to F12 keys, trying each in turn again.
- Additional information, if the keyboard is not blocked, but, for example, instead of the letter “y”, the letter “z” appears, I recommend pressing the sequence of Shift and CTRL keys, and the problem should also pass.
If none of the above methods works, it means that either our laptop does not have the option to disable the keyboard by pressing some keys, or the problem lies somewhere deeper. Then I recommend to simply restart the computer, i.e. turn it off and on again. It’s a bit of a lottery in here, but maybe after shutting down and restarting all your existing saves will be deleted. Likewise, it can take out the laptop battery and put it back in again. This will have the same purpose as when restarting the device. The final solution if our keyboard is still not working may be to restore the system. If we are not very proficient in this topic, we should report to an IT specialist. Before performing a system restore, make a backup of your data so that nothing important is deleted. If we have mastered saving data, we can restore it by going to Start–> Programs–> Accessories–> System Tools–> System Restore, or Control Panel–> Backup and Restore.
As you can see, disabling the laptop keyboard is not the easiest thing to do, but it is certainly easier than restarting it. I hope that after reading this article, no one will have a problem with the keyboard and when we need it, we will be able to easily turn it off and on again.